Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Connection

My entire life is about making connections. Why I just landed on that, I'm not really sure.
Actually. Lies. I do know. I blame Instagram.
At first it was just a fun way to share photos. I was already sharing them anyway, might as well share them with fun filters on them. But then my follower count started to include people I didn't know, which is really fun. So I started following them and the spider-web kept extending.
It's amazing that we live in a time when I can follow someone that lives in Paris or London or Belfast. I get to have this glimpse into their lives and their daily activity, both the mundane and the exciting. We're able to do that with Twitter too, but this is a purely visual representation and I think that's more compelling.
I have a Masters degree in Communication for the love of God, I spend my time doing interviews and putting together a magazine - my entire life is communicating, therefore connecting. How thrilling and inspiring.
When the internet exploded and was available for everyone, we were suddenly sent into an age of information. But now, with the power of apps like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, I feel like we are in an age of Connection.
As we elect the person that will preside over our country for the next four years, has it ever been more evident that we are sharing and connecting more than ever? I think that's a great thing. It's expanding our worldviews, it's showing us different ways of thinking about our neighbors and it's making it easier than ever to stay in contact with people that matter (and some that don't).
I like to be connected. When I feel disconnected, I feel disoriented, discombobulated and just flat out dissed. (I had a shtick going there)
 So let's connect. I guess it's true, once a student, always a student because I don't ever want to stop learning about people.

No comments: