Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I was still speaking

I had dinner with an interrupter.
What started as a pleasant conversation became a fight to get your words heard and I'm sorry to report that I did not win this battle. Actually, I forfeited the battle because I couldn't get past the fact that this person wouldn't stop interrupting everyone. And not just interrupting, but talking over the top of us as well.
At first, I was irritated but thought she was just trying to finish her thought. Then she did it to me. Game on.
I kept talking. Louder. And so did she. Fine, we'll call it a tie until I have something else I'd like to over to the "conversation."
That time came and this time, not only did I speak loudly, but I used emphatic arm movements to convey that it was I that was speaking and that people should pay attention to what I was saying. What did she do? She just started singing.
Are you kidding me with this? Am I not in on the joke? Is this normal behavior?
That's when I gave up. Once you've had a Celine-Dion-arms moment and nothing's come of it, it's hard to come back from that.
So I had dinner with an interrupter, and I didn't enjoy it.While the food may have been delicious, the company left a bad taste in my mouth. 

No comments: