Saturday, August 4, 2012

Truly inspired

The Olympics provide the entire world with the thrill of sporting to a degree that no Superbowl could ever measure up to. The feats of the most talented and driven athletes in the entire world take us all by storm and for me, it's hard to focus on much else. It's all Olympics all the time for me.
Today though, I was struck by Oscar Pistorius from South Africa. You've probably seen him in ads for different things. He's the runner that had both legs amputated. After almost four years of lobbying and fighting, he was finally allowed to qualify for the Olympic games, having to prove that his blades he runs on don't give him any advantage and won't present any danger to his competitors. If you ask me, I'm fairly certain anyone that has two legs amputated doesn't have any advantages but whatever IOC.
What I thought was so amazing today was the fact that the commentators were saying that he was just lucky to be invited to the game. He then went on to finish second and qualify for the semi-finals. Is he going to make it past that point? I don't know. But it doesn't really matter. He's already shown that no matter what your apparent disability might be, you can accomplish anything.
There's an unbelievable amount of heart and drive inside this man and I must say, out of all the Olympians that are inspiring people all over the world, this man just might be the most inspirational of them all. If he can race in the Olympics with all he's overcome, what's our excuse for not being able to do anything?

No comments: