Thursday, March 8, 2012

Silly Symphonies

I love classical music and I enjoy going to the symphony. For some, it's just an expensive nap but I really like the feeling of relaxing and listening to some of the finest music ever written played by a full orchestra and not a synthesized version of an orchestra. Having said that, I have a list of ways I feel the symphonic experience could be tweaked.
They are three fold:

One - All symphonies should be approximately 25% shorter than they are. This is accomplished in one very specific way - editing. Yes, it deserved Best Picture, but does every symphony need to end in a Lord of the Rings: Return of the King style fashion?  You know what I'm talking about. Just when you think it's over, it's not really. And then you think it's over again, but again it's not really. Then when you're certain it's over, you're not really all that surprised when it's not. It'd be much more of an effective statement to end with a bang - one bang. Singular.

Two - I feel that all symphonies should have a large screen over the orchestra playing Fantasia. Especially when the piece is an hour long, how much more enjoyable would it be to follow along with the a colorful blob or a dancing hippo? I feel this was something that Walt was aware of and more folks should take note. Who really wants to stare at a wall for an hour anyway? We're visual people. Disney made us that way. Crafty, that Walt.

Three - This is the big one. I understand the conductor is the one that wrangles this whole thing together and I understand they are great and all, but do they really have the leave the stage and re-enter three or four times after the symphony is over so we can applaud them repeatedly? I feel like they're taking advantage of encore-privileges just because they think they can get away with it. I don't appreciate it. When I do something great, I don't get to exit and then re-enter again and again to get the same praise continuously (though what a better world this would be if we could all have that). I don't think they should be able to do that either.

Again - love the symphony. Love it. But I do feel that even the classics could use some updating.

1 comment: