Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kissing you

I very rarely talk romance on here, mostly because I don't know that it's any of your business. However, I have a thought today. A romantic thought.
I like kissing. I'd use the word love here but I feel that's a strange choice of word in a moderately-romantic-themed blog so I'll stick with the word like. But I do. I like it. It's fun. Connecting with someone in that way and having that moment.
We put such an emphasis on our 'first kiss' in our culture. It's a big deal. My first kiss was when I was five and the girl is now a lesbian, so I really started that off on the right foot. I guess my first "real" kiss was when I was in eighth grade, though if you ask me, I'll tell you my first kiss was with a five-year-old lesbian.
Now that I'm an adult, a single adult at that, when I go out on the weekends, I see people making out all over the place. My favorite is when they've just met and they are making out like one of them is about to be shipped off to war. To them, kissing isn't really that big of a deal I suppose and I guess that's alright, but I don't think I'm that person. Actually, I know I'm not that person.
Kissing is still a thing to me. I still think it's special, sexy and important. It's not something I do with just anyone. I feel it's important to take inventory of the pieces of ourselves we give to others, mostly because we can never get those pieces back. So I don't apologize for being that guy at the bar that's not making out with the first person I meet because to me, I'm giving that person part of me.
Perhaps this was a bit of a rant and perhaps you think I'm silly or old-fashioned for feeling this way, but I'm completely alright with being that old-fashioned person.
You know, one of my favorite magazine covers I've ever seen was this issue of New York Magazine from a few years ago. Each year, they have an issue that's "Reasons to Love New York Right Now" themed and on this particular issue, it was covered with people kissing. There's something inherently romantic about this city anyway and I just thought the cover was poignant and stunning. (Magazine geek here so I make no apologies) But I think what makes it poignant to me is that I believe those people that were kissing meant it. Maybe they're like me and think it's special too.

No comments: