Sunday, January 1, 2012

1.1.2012.

You know, I was going to write a blog today that recapped my top 11 events from 2011. I was going to talk about Britney, Adele and Florence and the Machine. I was going to talk about The Normal Heart, Follies and Sleep No More. I was going to mention Michael Fassbender, Crazy Stupid Love and The Artist. I was even possibly going to talk about Kelly Clarkson and confess to even liking a Nicki Minaj song. That plan changed today.

I've been watching the marathon of Downton Abbey on PBS all afternoon because I'd heard such great things about it. It took me a bit to get into it but once it hit its stride, I have been really enjoying it. Then, it happened. The thing I love most in life happened. It became real.

"What would be the point of living if we didn't let life change us?" one of the characters asks.
Television became real.
Life changes us. It moves us, shapes us, twirls us and swirls us. Possibly you read that to mean it changes us in a bad way but that wasn't the intention. Life has a way of changing course and refocusing us. You can meet someone or could experience something that can change you in a second and I feel like we should be game for that. Especially creative people. Creative people should take their cues where they unexpectedly find them and embrace the change.

2012 is going to be a great many things. There will be many changes that will occur, there will be love, there will be heartbreak, there will be tough situations. But at the end of the day, I hope all those things add up to something as remarkable as 2011 added up to. I hope there's a feeling of hope in the end. I hope there's a feeling of life in the end. And ultimately, I hope the Mayans were idiots. I think we can all hope for that.

So here's to 2012 and cheers to 2011. It's been a good one and it's going to be another good one. And who knows. Maybe I will like another Nicki Minaj song in the next year, maybe Beyonce will put out an album that's actually marketable and maybe The Artist will win Best Picture at the Oscars. The big unanswered questions of 2012.

No comments: