Friday, December 2, 2011

The big 3-Oh oh oh

Today is Britney Spears' 30th birthday. A milestone for anyone I suppose, her included, but really, it's a milestone for the rest of us.
I remember seeing her in the mall before her first album came out and thinking, 'Huh. She's fun."  I can tell you where I was when I heard Oops for the first time. I remember going to Walmart before class on the day her albums came out and getting them first thing. But more than that, I remember what was going on in my life at all of those moments. Do you have an artist that does that for you? You've been following them for so long that you can almost chapter your life with each album they released?
More than anything, we're kinda glad she made it to 30 right? I mean, for a while there, it was touch-and-go. We weren't sure if she was going to make it or not. But, in true pop-star-redemptive-arch-Behind-the-Music-in-the-making form, she found a way to bounce back and have more number one albums and two sold out world tours.
People are making quite a big deal over her being 30 too. MTV made a special birthday video that actually looks like it took some time to make, there are articles all over the internet about her (my favorite is this one on Rolling Stone). For me, not being that much younger than she is and really growing into my own at the same time as she did, I'm not afraid to say that she's been a big part of my life. I think the musicians we listen to are a part of our lives, whether we like to admit it or not. The music we listen to becomes part of who we are in a way that other hobbies don't necessarily.
So today, Britney turns 30. I don't know what she's doing to celebrate but I know exactly what I'll be doing to celebrate my 30th. Vegas with everyone I know. Now that will be a Circus.

No comments: