Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The 'Connection'

I just started crying during a commercial for the Muppets movie.
Yes, I did.
This is me owning it.
They were singing Rainbow Connection, they gave Animal his drum sticks back, Kermit and Piggy are looking longingly into each other's plastic eyes...and I teared up.
Did I mention I haven't even seen the movie yet?
But the commercial got to me. As much as I'm a fan of the little things in life and you know how much I live for the love of a moment, I can only think of one other commercial that has ever caused me to have an emotional reaction. Actually, it's a family of commercials.
And they are Coca Cola.
Let me first clarify, the Christmas season doesn't officially start when Santa arrives at the end of the Macy's Parade. In fact, it starts the first time you see the Hershey's Kisses commercial where the kisses play like handbells. That means Christmas is here, but it doesn't make me cry.
What made me cry were the Santa trucks commercials. They were perfection. They made you feel like there was wonder in something ordinary. A truck that you see all the time was suddenly special and new. Plus, there was always something exciting about seeing the trucks with all the lights on them driving through the woods, headed to bring joy to the people of a small town. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the mp3s of those commercials on my iPod.
The other Coca Cola commercial that moved me was the updated version of "I Wish." It's moving to me. As this woman walks down the road, she's handing out Coke as if it were hope, peace and kindness. As sappy as it might sound, I'd like to think I'm a bit like that woman, believing in people and trying to dole out as much hope as I can. I'm not going as far to say that a Coke commercial changed my life...but I kinda am.
I appreciate the fact that there was something in even a commercial that resonated within me.  That sort of simple hope keeps us alive, keeps us feeling something, keeps us connected. All from a commercial? Well, yeah.
 

No comments: