Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jealous.

Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?
What is pictured here is none other than a structure built for the purpose of watching television. In The Netherlands, they are trying to break the world record of the longest a person can go watching television with no break and all of these people are there, vying for the title. I've never been more jealous of anyone in my life.
The world record stands at something like 86 hours or something. That's less than four days. Am I the only one that thinks this is totally possible? I mean, if you put me in a room and we watched every single episode of Friends and every episode of say, Will and Grace and we'd have the record broken. I don't think that's asking a lot.
Someone told me recently that they don't watch anything on television. I'm not ashamed to say that I don't think I can look at them the same anymore. How do you know what's going on in culture if not through television. Sure, you can look at the websites, but that doesn't fill in any of the cultural gaps that television does. Plus, where do you find enrichment in your life? Certainly not through other people.
So I'm jealous of people who are Dutch and who are spending the next however many days sitting in their little cell watching television.It would be unbelievably epic to be a part of something so wildly ridiculous and so ultimately gratifying. One day, dear friends, I will break that record, and from the heap on the floor that I emerge from afterward, you all will cheer for me. It will be like at the end of Titanic when they cheer for the Kate and Leo, except I'll be alive and I actually will have 'never let go' of my true love...television.

No comments: