Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Come on People now

So I'm perusing the websites I normally look through each morning, People Magazine's site being one of them, and there's a headline on there that reads "Meet the World's Heaviest Living Woman." Intrigued, I click on the link.
Wowza.
Now, as someone who has struggled with weight issues since I was a teenager, I understand the internal battle that goes on there. Not that I was ever 700 pounds like this woman, but there have been times when I've felt like it.
What intrigues me about this article isn't that this woman is so large. It's what she says about getting fit. She basically says that she wants someone to read the information about her being so large and for that someone to help her get herself under control. She knows she needs to get fit. I feel like I'm missing something. It took the Guinness Book of World Records telling her she was fat for her to listen? It wasn't the fact that she can't fit on airline or movie theater seats. It wasn't the fact that she can't even walk. It was the Guinness Book? I just don't understand it.
As someone who has gotten hold of that battle and is beating it, I can say that it wasn't some book telling me I needed to slim down. It was walking down the street and feeling giant compared to who was walking next to me. It was shopping and not finding anything that fit. It was a general feeling of needing to be healthy more than needing those Doritos. Not some book. I know we all have to take our own path in life, but really, come on.
And now, People Magazine has allowed this woman to use the magazine as a forum to get gastric bypass. We all know that's the entire point because after she's lost the weight, they will be able to continue to cover her. I'm sure she's on retainer with the magazine so that they can cover her progress over the next however many years and sell more magazines.
I just think this whole thing is an exercise in irresponsibility. The woman, her son, anyone who has ever met her, the magazine, everything.
You know, I've gotten in a lot of trouble over the years for telling it like it is. I often don't self-censor, I will tell you exactly what I feel about something and your feelings be damned, if I think you need to know something, I'm gonna give it to you straight. Where was that person for her to say, "Baby, there are elephants smaller than you, put down the Hostess snacks, you're gonna die." Someone needed to tell her this 300 pounds ago, put her on a treadmill and taken away the ice cream. In that light, it's hard for me to feel sorry for her.
It's also hard for me to feel sorry for people who get mad at me when I tell them like it is and they don't listen, only to find out later that they should have. Just sayin. I'm pretty wisdomous.
But we will see what happens with her I suppose. I'm sure you will be able to read all about it in People.

No comments: