Wednesday, September 7, 2011

...and I am not afraid...

Re: my last post. Not the best day I've ever had. So I decided to walk for a bit before heading home. Walking through the city is the ultimate calming agent in my life, it allows me to work out whatever's going on, listen to some music, maybe talk to someone on the phone or someone I happen to run into.
But today, it was different. It was raining.
New York in the rain is an interesting place. It's equal parts poetic and pathetic. But as I left my office and everyone else was pulling out their umbrellas, I chose to leave mine in my bag. If you've ever had a lot on your mind and walked through the rain while listening to Adele, you understand. It was like the water was washing the day away. What an incredible feeling. And as it rained harder, it seemed to feel better and better. When I got on the train, I closed my eyes, prayed someone wouldn't steal my wallet and headed home.
There was this Jo Dee Messina song that was under-rated but kinda brilliant, and sometimes, the lyrics seep back into my life. It's one of those things that at some point got trapped in the fly paper of my subconscious and occasionally floats up to the service.
"Tomorrow's another day
And I am not afraid
So bring on the rain."
I love that songs have that ability, to come out of nowhere and just redefine the way our day is going. Add with it the physical rain falling down my face and Adele singing about setting fire to it...now that's poetry.

No comments: