Thursday, August 18, 2011

Such a realization

I just realized I've been in New York for a year now. Okay technically I've been in New York for a year and like 4 days. I'm not big on anniversaries really so you'll have to forgive the tardiness of my realization.
A year.


If you've followed along the rants I've posted over the past year (there have been quite a few), then you know I'm not playing games when it comes to this city. There are too many things to do and too many adventures to have to just sit around. So that's what I've done. I've had one adventure after another.

And why not? That's what life is right? One big adventure? At least that's how I choose to see it. It's not something for us to sit and look at. Life is something to experience and I try on a daily basis to experience it. And let me tell you, the crazier and more random the adventure, the more I like it.

It also stands to mention that it was right around this time last year when I started developing, recruiting and creating the publication that would become BLEEP. And here we are, just two weeks away from the fifth issue and I couldn't be more blown away by what a ride it's been. Again, it's been such an adventure.

I will say this, I feel a little like Carrie Bradshaw writing about my anniversary with my city. Sounds very much like it should be the voiceover that starts an episode and after half an hour of things going wrong, she somehow has a deeper love for the city. But I'm not her. She's not even my favorite character on that show. New York is my favorite character on that show. (insert profound oohs and ahhs here please)

When I first visited the city 6(ish) years ago, I had no idea that I would end up planted here. I will never forget one of my first impressions though. We had just arrived, our hotel was down by Central Park and we were wandering around. I was journaling (as I still do) and I wrote something like "I mean it's cool and all but I don't get it. It's just a park." Still makes me laugh when I think about it. One of the multitude of moments when I was an idiot.

So here's to the next year. And the one after that. If they are anything even moderately adjacent to this past year, then it's going to be a hell of an adventure. And even though it doesn't need to be said, I will say it anyways because it's truth: I heart New York. It should also be known that that is my favorite episode of Sex and the City. Full circle people. Full circle.

No comments: