Monday, August 22, 2011

My 'Lovesong'

I was sitting alone in my apartment last night, taking a break from working on things and I was listening to Adele. Lovesong started playing, I closed my eyes and sang along. About halfway through the song, I thought to myself, I want to mean these lyrics. I want to be able to say these things to someone and mean it. It's a sappy moment to write about here, but it wasn't sappy when it happened. It was just honest, because the song is honest.
When the song was over, I turned off the music and sat alone for a few minutes. No TV, no laptop chirping at me, no texts...nothing. Is 'Lovesong' the most romantic song that's ever resonated with me? It just might be.

I used to think 'Kissing You' from Romeo and Juliet was the most romantic song I'd ever heard and I still think it's breathtaking. There's something about the simplicity of it and the movement of the music that just makes you feel like you should be running hand-in-hand with someone significant to you. Maybe you're running in the rain. Maybe you're laughing. I just think it creates a canvas to paint a portrait of your love for another.

You know what else is a breathtaking song that most people aren't familiar with? 'Paris' by Faith Hill. It was the last cut on one of her more recent albums, it's not a country song at all, and it's gorgeous. Beyond the fact that her voice has never sounded so flawless, it's a stunningly beautiful song that resonates so deeply inside of me. As a matter of fact, when I was in Paris this last summer, and I was wandering around the Eiffel Tower at night, I listened to this song and had a private moment of reflection.

I know there are so many songs that are incredibly romantic and endearing. But, I don't think any song has resonated with me like 'Lovesong' did last night. So it's fair to say that I'm in one of those emotional, contemplative moods today and that's just fine with me. Clears the clutter out of the way and makes room for something else. I love when there's room for something else. That means anything can happen.

No comments: