Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Help

I just saw The Help, and like so many of you, I loved it deep-deep. There were a lot of great lines in there and so much that resonates within me for one reason or another but as weighty as some of the lines were, the one that resonated most loudly inside me was:
"Fried chicken'll make you feel better about life."
It's not about food.
It's not about southern comforts.
It's about the simple things.
It's about the simple things that matter in this life.
I've written a hundred times about how it's the simple things in life that are the most important and I find examples of that every single day. It's in a hug. An iced coffee. The smile of a hot stranger. Remembering that that skyline is my skyline. The knowledge that I'm making it. All the different shoes people are wearing on the train in the morning. A text message from a new friend. A quote that spurs my thinking. The sound of life on the streets. A movie that makes me cry. The possibility of endless possibilities.
These are a few of my favorite things.
And my most favorite are the most simple.
And that makes me happy. Which I am. Happy.

No comments: