Thursday, August 11, 2011

The morning commute

If you live in a big city with a subway or train system, you will probably be able to relate to this.
Every morning when I'm headed to work, I try to get to the train at exactly the right moment because I know when the train will come along that has places to sit on it. I don't know why it works out that way, but it does. So I try to get on that train every day. The problem with said train is that it means that someone will eventually be sitting next to me and while you give up a certain amount (or all) of personal space to live in New York, you know you'd rather not be wedged between two other people.
But you are. Oh well right? Adele is singing in my ear, I'm on a roll playing Solitaire on my phone and who cares who I'm sitting next to.
Until you feel it. That's right. You feel another set of eyes peering down at your game of Solitaire. You know what that feels like. You want to turn to them and say, "Please stop it. You're giving me stage fright," but you don't. You just sit there and second guess every move you make with that digital card game and suddenly you're taking twice as long to play a game that is meant to be mindless. Suddenly, it's become an event of Celebrity Death Match caliber, you start to sweat, your blood pressure rises and you feel that if you fail to see just one card that could be moved to another stack, you'll be looked at as a complete nobody, tossed aside in society as the boy that failed at Solitaire during his morning commute.
Anybody else feel like that? No? Just me? Good to know.

No comments: