Friday, July 29, 2011

My out-of-body moment

I just had a truly out-of-body experience. Truly.
The summer between my seventh and eighth grade years, we moved from the town that I had grown up in to a town that was about twenty minutes away. While I wasn't a big fan of this at the time, it ultimately turned out to be for the best.
BUT, in moving, I left behind all of my friends there. This was before Facebook and cell phones, so there wasn't a way to really keep in touch with people. So I grew up in a different school district, with different friends and my life went in a different direction entirely.
When Facebook came around, I began searching for some of those old friends and I indeed did find some. Small talk, caught up with a couple, but nothing really life-changing. Until today.
I saw that one of those old friends had posted in their Class of 2001 Ten Year Reunion group. It hit me, they all graduated when I did and also have their ten year reunion coming up. So I started looking through the group, seeing faces and names that I haven't seen in ten years. And that's when it hit me. I was looking at my own alternate reality. It was like I was looking down on what my life could have been, had I stayed where I was at.
I'm not saying that I missed it or felt like I should have had that high school experience as opposed to the one that I had. Not at all. My life has played out just like it was supposed to. But it was so strange to see these people who I would have been friends with all living their lives, completely oblivious to the fact that I was having an out-of-body and they were the cause.
Maybe this doesn't make any sense to you, but it was a very strange feeling for me. I don't know why. I think it was just like I was looking at the future that I thought I would have when I was younger, and while that future didn't turn out to be that way, it was still like I was looking at it from beyond it.
Who knew I'd be so floaty and ghosty today? Cheers to ten years being out of high school. Cheers to ten years of the wildest adventure I never knew I'd love to be on. And cheers to those kids I moved away from.

No comments: