Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Mona Lisa moment

I had a moment today when I realized that the new issue of BLEEP hasn't even been out four days yet and almost 500 people have read it. See, it started as this little idea that grew to include a small group of people. Then it grew to include a larger group of people and now it's exploded into our third issue which features no less than two dozen different writers and like I said, almost 500 people in less than four days.
So I had a moment today and I realized I was having Julia Roberts' moment. That's right. I'm guilty of moment theft.
See, there's this moment at the end of Mona Lisa's Smile where she's sitting in the backseat of this car and is driving off, away from the school and the girls that she believes in. Then, as only movies can make happen, the girls come riding up next to her on their bikes and they're crying and she's crying and it's a beautifully crafted moment. But that's not the moment I stole. I stole the next moment, when she sits back in the car after it's passed them by and you can tell she takes a second to think about how loved she is and then a smile just bursts onto her face with a slight to moderate chuckle. That's the moment I had/stole when I thought about how many people are interested in this issue.
I'm not quick to take the credit and I feel like others are too quick to give it to me honestly, because this magazine really is a colossal team effort, but I know it was my idea initially and the fact that people are grasping hold of it is blowing my mind really. So this is a thank you to everyone who read it and who will read it. It means a lot to me.

If you haven't read it, be sure to click HERE.

No comments: