Monday, April 25, 2011

Privacy

I was recently asked what the most private thing I was willing to admit was and that got me thinking, is there anything in my life that's so private that I'd have to be willing to admit it?
I've come to the conclusion that I don't really think there is. I mean, if you want to know something, just ask right? Why lie? Why keep up any false pretense?
I mean really, I've posted over 600 of these blog posts and is there really anything I haven't covered? I've admitted just about as much as a person can admit about themselves and what they like. I've talked about Disney, talked about Britney, talked about Charlie Brown and talked about everything on television. What stone has been left unturned?
Currently, I'm watching Game of Thrones if you must know.

The real question here is: Are there things that we shouldn't admit? Are there things that we should keep private or are the burdens of privacy too much to bear? I don't really know. For me, keeping things private just makes reality muddier and murkier. Perhaps that's why I'm a blurter, because I get so tired of things being muddy that I just want to blurt it all out and clear the air in an instant, no matter the fallout. This was most recently best personified on Brothers and Sisters last night...of course it was. Why would it not be? There's a reason it's my favorite show on television. But still, I guess my answer would be that having things secret doesn't help anyone actually. Plus, it makes pulling off the metaphorical bandaid that much more difficult. The longer things stay secretive, the harder it becomes right?
Anyway, I didn't have a good answer to that question. Once you've rambled on about the brilliance of a song from Charlie Brown, what's left to say?

No comments: