Sunday, April 17, 2011

My old friend Arthur

Are you watching Camelot? You should be.

You know, there have been quite a few movies made about Arthur and his knights and each one is trying to reinvent how the story is told. Well, on Starz, the same network that has brought us the uber-violent and uber-awesome Spartacus,they have a new series called Camelot. I've always loved this story and so I decided I would give this series a chance and I'm so glad I did.
There's just something about this classic story that they are telling in a semi-realistic way that's so interesting. I love when all the components of the story come together, except not as you think they will. I think what I really love is the fact that it's so well made. That's what I love. It's like getting to watch a piece of a movie every week. That's become the trend on the cable networks and I think it's spectacular. The greatest of these is Mad Men of course, but you've got shows like Spartacus, Camelot and Game of Thrones that have taken the epic genre of film and translated it onto television.
Plus, let's be honest. Who doesn't love a good battle scene each week? With Lord of the Rings, we had to wait an entire year for it. Now we get Arthur, Merlin and the Knights of the Round (though we're not there yet in the story) each week.
This is why I love television. This is why I go home and watch it. This is why I devote so much time to it. Because if I didn't, I'd be missing out on some of the finest artistry in entertainment. It gives me the drive to give my best in whatever I do as well. Plus, Merlin is just so damn cool.

No comments: