Monday, April 4, 2011

Giving honor to whom honor is due

During a random wandering of my mind today, it became clear to me that I have neglected to give the proper credit to some of the characters that have shaped who I am. Honoring those who have helped us to become who we are is such a good practice and I try to do that, but I have neglected a few very important ones. For this, I am sorry and I will do my best to remedy that at once.

First, I must recognize Penelope Pitstop for teaching me perseverance. Every time she would compete against the rest of the Wacky Racers, she had such obstacles to face. Couple that with the fact that it was the 60s and she was a woman. Talk about having to overcome adversity. And she did, week in and week out and though she wasn't always the victor, she still gave it her all each week. Thank you Penelope. Thank you.

Our families teach us so much and at this time, I must recognize a family that taught me to live my life freely. Yakko, Wakko and Dot, thank you so much for showing me that living life by the seat of your pants and bursting into impromptu songs are a normal and acceptable way to live. Without you, I think I'd be a stuffy fool, afraid to branch out and sing the ingredients in ice cream, all the countries in the world, or all the words in the English language. You also taught me that it's a great big universe and we're all really puny, we're just tiny little specs about the size of macaroni. For that, I am forever grateful.

Who are we without our friends right? I must also thank one of Yakko, Wakko and Dot's friends, Slappy the Squirrel. Without her, I wouldn't have come to accept a sharp wit and the God-given ability to not take crap from anyone. Together, these two things have become a hallmark of my life and I owe it all to you Slappy. At a young age, you taught me to tell it like it is. You also may be responsible for planting the seed that became my obsession with 1969, when you and Skippy went to Woodstock to hear The Who. I thank you and the cast of Hair thanks you (I gave them a lot of money what with ticket sales and albums and such)

Next, I must thank my Saturday morning companion. Someone who taught me what it is to be a southern gentlemen. Gambit. Thank you for showing me how to treat a lady, as well as also being the root of my love of outerwear. Plus, you taught me the important of throwing playing cards when enraged, something that has come in handy on many occasions. Actually, I think you taught a lot of my friends that same thing because a lot of them tend to throw cards in fits of rage when we're playing. I think I speak for all of them when I say thank you kind sir.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I have to thank Baby Plucky for teaching me to be obnoxious. Again, I speak for all of my friends when I say thank you for that.

Whew. I feel better. I really needed to get that off my chest. I needed them to know how much I appreciate them and how much they've taught me. I know that I am who I am today because of their leading.


This post is dedicated to all of you that remember when cartoons used to be good and were quality shows. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not MacaROni, Mickey ROONEY! :)

nyc152 said...

You are correct, but to the uneducated reader, that wouldn't have made any sense. But yes, indeed you are correct.