Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Disney might just rule my life

After writing my Masters thesis on Disney animated movie musicals, I implemented a bit of a Disney-break in my life. Now that period is over and I've begun listening to the On The Record album once again (if you're unfamiliar, familiarize yourself with it. Stunning arrangements of classic songs). I was struck by the lyrics to one of the songs that I usually thought was rather dippy, but in light of where I am in life, they suddenly made sense. Strange how that happens right?

"What I love most about rivers is, you can't step in the same river twice. The water's always changing, always flowing. But people, I guess, can't live like that, we all must pay a price to be safe: we lose our chance of ever knowing what's around the riverbend, waiting just around the riverbend."

I'm fascinated now. In my life, Pocahontas has always been characterized by purple leaves and gold crap flying in the wind and an ugly talking tree. But I think there's something rather profound about the lyrics there. My favorite line is "we all must pay a price to be safe: we lose our chance of ever knowing what's around the riverbend." In the song, the phrasing is in such a way that the words are kinda lost and while that makes for a better song, it disguises the message a bit. What's the price we're paying to be safe and content? To be stagnant? To be just like everyone else? To be what we think we're supposed to be? To be carried away by every safe fad or safe face? I think it takes a lot more courage to be yourself and to take the risk on being just who you are and not what you think pleases others or what you think you're supposed to be. Who am I supposed to be? I dunno, I gave up on those thoughts a long time ago, but the real question is who am I really? I've got dreams and things I want to accomplish in this life and I'm going for them, sometimes at the risk of being safe. How much more interesting life is when we are just ourselves and don't try to be anyone else?
Deep feelings brought to the surface from a Pocahontas song...just as the wind brought up all of those purple leaves and gold craps to blow through my perfectly piecey hair. Sidenote: Remember in that movie when Pocahontas jumped off that cliff and dove into the water? Adrenaline junkie. What was she doing? Show off. That's what she was. A show off with perfect hair.

No comments: