Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's really important

This week, I've been thinking about what the important things are in my life and inbetween dance sessions with Britney's new album, I've come up with a thought or two.

It's true that as you get older, the things that are important to you change. You know, it used to matter what I drove and now that doesn't really matter to me. Granted, I don't have a car so that point may seem moot (a cow's opinion...it just doesn't really matter). I see folks driving down Madison Avenue in their overly-expensive cars and I just think the money could have gone to so many other things...(these are the thoughts of someone who works with homeless folks everyday...you rethink the actual importance of big ticket items)

The one thing that hasn't changed that's important to me are the people in my life. It's the one thing that has remained the most important thing to me since I was in junior high. I mean, what's life without people right? The world is equal parts wonderful and terrible and in order to fully appreciate the wonderful, you need to experience it with others. I'm blessed in that department. I've got my people and they've got me. They're stuck with me actually, a fact that might not thrill them, but it's true. 
The one down side to being a people person is that when you are alone, you're doubly alone huh? And what a terrible thought that these people are stuck with me and don't actually want to stick with me. Perhaps I'm a pusher...I'm a pusher Kady...and that's not a fun thought. Sorry about my momentary lapse into seriousness. Apologies. Cow's opinion. 

You know, in college, you have all the time in the world to do whatever you wanted and if you didn't have the time, you'd make it by staying up all night and making coffee runs at all hours. That's not so much the real world. (maybe on the weekends it is but whatever) I find that what I really love is getting home, looking at the clock and knowing that I have 6 or 7 hours before I have to go to sleep.Those hours are mine to do whatever I want with. You know, I do go out and about on the weekends and I do fill my time with friends, shows and random adventures, but during the week, I just love being at home, catching up on television, talking to people on the phone and writing. And that's what's important really. It's not about how much money is in my account, what car I drive (again...cow's opinion) or what neighborhood my apartment is in. I've found that over the past two months, I've seen the importance of those things fade away in my life. Don't get my wrong, there's no such thing as too much money, but I'm covered for now and that's fine with me. 

What did Charlie Brown say? 
Happiness is...two kinds of ice cream, knowing a secret, climbing a tree. Happiness is five different crayons, catching a firefly and setting him free. Happiness is being alone every now and then and happiness is coming home again. 
No mention of Raybans, a Porsche, a place on Park Avenue, overflowing wallets, or Rolex watches. This wasn't meant to be a blog against materialism but I guess it became that. What's important in life, in my life at least, isn't that stuff. It can't be. I have a computer that sounds like a freight train with a monitor that doesn't work, an iPod that's in the grave (moment of silence please), an unfurnished apartment and three times my yearly salary in student loans about to come due. 
So I ask you? What's important to you? 

Oh. And the song Werewolf Bar Mitzvah is really important to me. 

No comments: