Friday, March 4, 2011

Leave Natalie alone

So Mike Huckabee is trying his best to stay in the news since he thinks he can win the presidency based off the hyper-conservative vote and on Monday, his plotting worked. He was on a radio show talking about how Natalie Portman, saying "People see a Natalie Portman who boasts, 'we're not married but we're having these children and they're doing just fine...I think it gives a distorted image. It's unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out-of- wedlock children."
Fine. You're not big on the out-of-wedlock thing. Whatever, that's your decision and no one can fault you for it. Perhaps dragging specific people into your opinion isn't the most tactful, but okay.
Here's where I really took pause to what he said. "Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care," he said. "And that's the story that we're not seeing."
Seems to me that's quite the generalization, an extreme generalization really, and while Natalie can afford help when she's off working, it still seems a strange string to pull at in the public. This isn't 1950 Mike. Families don't look the same now as they did then and people are making it work. I guess I don't see any other point to his slamming Natalie and Benjamin other than to make the news. I don't think politicians should ride celebrity's coattails just so they can be a headline on msnbc. (except when criticizing Kanye. I'll allow as much of that as it warranted)
I think it would have been different had he not mentioned Natalie. If he'd just said that there's an epidemic in this country of unwed mothers and these are the reasons why people should wait to have kids - then that wouldn't have been such a "slam." It also wouldn't have landed him in the news either so there you go.
Am I digging too deep here? Did he just say it in some sort of tangential conversation blip? No. He didn't. I watch The Good Wife. Nothing said in a political interview isn't calculated. Yes, I do base all of my politically based feelings on the way that prime-time dramas depict it. Leave me alone. And leave Natalie alone too. She just won an Oscar for goodness sake. What's Mike done besides not winning a presidential bid? Oooooh. I went there.

No comments: