Friday, February 11, 2011

The sunshine show

So I'm watching the sunshine show...you know...that new show that has Matthew Perry on it. I think it's called Mr. Sunshine? Whatever, I'm watching it. I don't so much pay attention to title credits, except on Cougar Town because it's fun to see if there is a funny blurb written above the name of the show. (I understand that if you don't watch this show, you don't know what I'm talking about, but really, you should be watching this show. It's very funny) And it's actually Cougar Town that's caused me to watch the sunshine show.
See, who would have thought that you would believe Courtney Cox as anything except Monica?  Right? Well, I was wrong (kinda...she is still Monica but the show is fun and I like it). Well, I thought I would give this a shot. I mean, Matthew Perry can be funny sometimes.
But let's be real, as much as he's the star, it became very obvious who I'd be watching in this show. And her name is Allison Janney. Yes, perhaps you remember her from The West Wing. She's the acclaimed actress that won not one, but four Emmys for The West Wing. Four. That's serious.
Well, she's hysterical on this show, a sort of Karen Walker/Jenna Maroney/Michael Scott hybrid, and really, she had me hooked. As for the rest of the show? Needs a little work I think but you really can't judge anything on basis of the pilot. Not every pilot is awesome. The two pilots that I can think of off the top of my head that were awesome were Glee and Desperate Housewives. Both of those pilot episodes had us hooked by the end of the hour and we stuck with them.
I'm going to give this show some more time to find itself. Mostly because it airs on Wednesday nights when I'm already tuned into ABC for The Middle, Cougar Town and Modern Family. Makes it easy to just continue to watch it. But it was funny. Seems like it's in the vein of Sports Night, a show that was flawless and I love. But time will tell. I just like that it wasn't a complete failure.

No comments: