Monday, February 21, 2011

A night of crap television: The full report

In the spirit of knowing thine enemy, I decided tonight to watch two shows that I've never before seen/never desired to see before.
The first was Kourtney and Kim Take New York. Yes. The Kardashians. This would be the episode that Kim stood with her ear up against her sister's door and listened to her have sex. Right.
Honestly, there has to be some sort of appeal to them since so many people watch them and they are able to make such a ridiculous amount of money a year. I read that the Kardashian brand made them 65 million dollars last year. But I'm five minutes in and I'm already grossed out. Kourtney's husband on the sex he was having when Kim heard him. "Of course she heard me, I was going like a jackhammer in there." REALLY? I mean, this really is everything that's wrong with pop culture. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. At least the Housewives of Atlanta have jobs...well most of them do. I think that Kourtney's husband is one of the most worthless and creepy people I've ever seen on television. And the SNL spoof is dead on. Worthless television, absolutely nothing happened and at the end of the episode, I judge each and every person who watches this show. You should be ashamed.

The second show was Holly's World. Yes. The Playboy model show. First off, she looks like a walking blow up doll. She doesn't even look like a real person. She looks so plastic.
And then there's her clan of clingers-on. The girls are like Karen from Mean Girls...complete airheads. And I saw Josh Strickland in Tarzan on Broadway and he was great in that. Now he's on her show and he's trying to cut an album, of course he is, everyone in reality TV is. And they all fail miserably. Here's the thing, he can sing. Very well. Here's the other thing. He can't sing pop music. I heard his song about a week ago and not only is it a cookie cutter dance song, but if no one told me it was him, I would have thought it was a girl. Just proves that it doesn't matter how hot you are or how kick ass your album cover might be, Broadway tenors aren't meant to be pop stars.

Both of these shows are ridiculous but I will say that at least in Holly's show, it was following her as she was working. That and when she talks, she doesn't sound like a moron, which I found a little surprising. But either way, both shows were wastes of time. Though, I do feel like I can speak ill of them now because now I'm informed. I'll also say that I don't feel like I wasted my time by watching one episode of each of them. It's like seeing how the other half lives.
Perhaps I need to try this more often. It makes me feel really great about not only myself and my life, but also in the television that I watch. The shows I watch are worth while and contribute something to culture. These? Blemishes on the face of the America that the world sees.

No comments: