Saturday, February 12, 2011

My oldest friend

Two nights ago, I was talking to my oldest friend and we realized we've been friends for a consecutive fifteen years. That's more than half my life. And I started thinking how great that is that we've been able to stay friends for that long. More so still, we're still good friends that still talk. Even more, when we get together, we pick up right where we left off. There's no apparent gap of unfamiliarity that we have to bridge before we can hit our stride. We've never left our stride. 
But I feel really blessed to be able to say that my oldest friend and I have been boppin along for fifteen years. Not too many people can say that. I mean, now, it's easier to keep up with people since we're all on Facebook and we are in and out of each other's lives on a daily basis. But this was before that time and I'm proud to say that we made it. 
I've always had the knack for keeping up with people. When they're important to me, I don't let them go. And I think more people should adopt this mentality. There are so many people who are self-proclaimed flakes and they use that as an excuse not to keep up with people. "Oh I'm not the best at keeping up with people." I hate that, mostly because it displays a lack of importance. People are our most valuable resource and if we're not keeping up with them, then what are we doing exactly? 
Moral of this story? Be a good friend. There's a happiness involved with being a friend to someone and even a text message can brighten someone's day. I'm a texter. I text all the time. It's one of the ways I can stay involved in people's lives. But there are certain people I never hear from and a text from them can actually lift my mood. So text someone you care about. Be in their life. And what's more important, as life goes on, we move to new places, we meet new people, we date, we do all kinds of things. But losing touch with the people who have had such an important role in our lives is terrible. Really terrible. So love the one you're with and love the people who've made you who you are. Because as Charlie Brown says, 'Happiness is anyone and anything at all, that's loved by you.'

(Yes. I included this really awful photo of my oldest friend and I, circa 2004)

No comments: