Monday, February 28, 2011

Farewell to another year

The Oscars were last night, meaning that another year in film has closed and another is just beginning and while I'm not going to recap the awards last night like I usually do (I have a magazine for that now), I wanted to make reference to the finale.
See, usually, once Best Picture is announced, that's it. It's over. But the producers (however questionable their decisions were most of the night) added something on at the end there. They had the PS-22 Chorus, famous from YouTube, come out and sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It was fitting because the rest of the night had featured classic films as the backdrops of the set (which was amazing by the way) and why not end with the most famous movie song from the most famous movie ever. Yes. I said that. The Wizard of Oz is, in my opinion, the most famous movie ever made. I've blogged about it before but I'll say it again. There's no other movie that's as universal as The Wizard of Oz. None. Not even Gone With the Wind.
Then, as the kids sang, the set lifted and there they were, all the winners from the night, walking out triumphantly to stand with these kids, none of which looked the slightest bit phased that they were at the Oscars, and sing that song. It was a moment. The type of moment usually saved for Olympic closing ceremony montages, yet we got it live. I think it was all the more poignant because the entire evening was geared toward getting younger audiences to watch the Oscars. So why not pair that with children, singing about rainbows surrounded by the victorious award winners that this younger generation aspire to be like?
It was a moment that didn't have to be there but I'm so glad it did. It was a wonderful way to close out the night.
I'm big on moments.

No comments: