Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New shows fighting for my attention...and getting it

I was priding myself this year that I didn't take on a single new show. Not a one. Of course over the course of one day, I have taken on two. Not to say I'll be sticking with them, but I did watch two new shows today and enjoyed them both.
The first was The Middle, you know, the show with Patricia Heaton? I've been reading that it's a really great show and that more people should be watching it, but you know how much TV I already watch so I didn't bother to watch it. But tonight I watched two episodes and they were both funny to the point where I laughed out loud. It was so clever and witty and you know I love a show that surprises me.
The second show was the new ABC show Off The Map. Now look, I have stopped watching Grey's Anatomy and I don't care how good people say it's been, I don't have time. But this was created by the same gal and since it's clearly shot in the same place that LOST was shot, I thought I would give it a shot. But that's not really the reason is it? No. The real reason is because Mamie Gummer is on it. Who's that? It's Meryl Streep's daughter. And I think she's awesome. So I gave it a shot. I don't think I will stick with this one forever honestly, I don't have the space in my head for the medical shows, and I have real questions about this one.
Did we really need that Avatar moment where the pond was blue and shimmery? I don't care if that is a real thing or not, it was a bit heavy handed and fabricated a moment that was a little far fetched. I do realize that all moments on television are fabricated, but when they're especially contrived (Gabby and the baby switching plotline on Housewives anyone?) I don't know what to do with it. And please, let's not look over the teaser for next week with the guy that has an anaconda wrapped around him. There are so many things wrong with that. Really? In what scenario is that feasible? An anaconda? Wrapped around the guy with its fangs in the guy? I've watched enough Discovery Channel to know that the snake would choke the life outta that guy. Whatever.But I did like the fact that at least this medical show was in the tropics and that swimsuits will be worn often.

I should go ahead and say here that I did watch the episode of Castle because it had Gilles Marini on it and it was very enjoyable. I've actually enjoyed that show when I've watched it. I just don't have enough time to watch all the shows that are good on TV. I would consider The Middle to be one of those shows. Jury's still out on Off the Map on whether it will be considered a good show or not. We'll see how the anaconda thing goes.

No comments: