Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The first day

The first day of school has always been somewhat of a disaster for me. On my first day of high school, I missed the bus and was late to my first class but if that wasn't enough, my teacher reprimanded me for it and made an example of my apparently intentional tardiness. It was mortifying.
On my first day of summer school in college, my car had a flat tire and I then proceeded to go to the wrong class. Perhaps that's my own fault for being confused, but as it did occur on the first day of class, it's allowed.
I just moved to the city. That's not actually true though. I have been here since August doing an internship and finishing my Masters, but it's true to say that I just moved here for good. Yesterday. And as exciting as that is, I should have moved here a week ago but didn't. The reason? The first day of school.
I thought I had an apartment squared away. It was perfect. Close to everything, reasonably priced, furnished and perfect for me, a single guy in my late twenties with perhaps mild delusions of changing the world and living the life I've always dreamed of...straight out of college. But as the saying goes, it actually was too good to be true. Turned out to be one big scam, thus preventing me from moving here when I expected to and throwing a wrench in, what I believed to be, the best plans in the world. So my first day of school, getting to the city, had a giant flat tire and as much as I try to be optimistic and say things like "Well, what's an adventure without a few bumps in the road," the truth of the matter is that the bumps in the road suck. A lot.
But if I've learned anything thus far, is that the bumps should be expected. Especially here in Manhattan. Real estate is crazy and everyone knows it, transportation during the winter can be incredibly taxing (not to mention expensive thanks to the rate hikes at MTA) But the bumps happen. I would have thought that the first day of work would have been the stressful part of this whole transition but let me tell you, easy sailing there.
It's about 2:45 on the first day of my first real job out of college, I've met every single person in the office, forgotten all of their names (including the fella I share this office with...Matt, I think it is), spent every moment trying to familiarize myself with the company so I won't look like a fool if someone asks me a question and presumes I should know the answer, and have tried to prove that I'm on top of things and better than whoever was here before me. I don't know if it's a fact or not, but I want to believe that I'm trying hard. Tomorrow is the real first day. The day that real work has to be done and time isn't absorbed by all the things that you do on the first day of school. That's where the real challenge will begin. Onward.

No comments: