Friday, January 7, 2011

Early spring cleaning with a Rabbit

I saw Rabbit Hole this morning and let me tell you, I have been grieving ever since. It was like I went on this journey with these two parents who lost their son in a car accident.
It was gut-wrenchingly powerful. When it was over I wanted to curl up and sob or throw up or go for a run or eat all day or something. The performances by the actors were brilliant and I can't say enough about it but really, it was the type of film that took you on the journey of grieving with this couple.
I'm not telling you to see this film really. Chances are, you won't like it. It's not a feel good. There's not really a happy ending. There isn't a playful undertone. But I'm a cinematic masochist and I enjoy films like that. It's like I am a sponge or wet rag or something and films like this wring me out and clear out any sort of emotional suds that may be clotting my life at the moment.
This is a great time of the year for that sort of thing. With all the Oscar films out right now, it's the perfect time to recoil into my emotional cocoon and work out some of my inner issues. It's like spring cleaning for my soul.
SO - if you want a film that will ravage you emotionally and collapse your insides in on themselves, while leaving a pinhole for hope to glisten through in the end, then Rabbit Hole is the one to see.

No comments: