Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Save often, save much

You know, I learned a lot from my years of doing student publications in high school and college. I learned a lot about design, I learned about different styles of writing and I learned how to deal with people. But today, I discovered what the most important thing was that I learned. I'd like to share the secret with all of you.
This is something that has made my life unbelievably easier and has evaporated pending stress before it even had time to arrive. And it's a simple phrase:
"Save often, save much."
You see, when there was a short in the office power and all the computers suddenly went blank, there was an office full of disgruntled people who lost everything they were working on in an instant...except for one person. Yes. Myself. I'd been saving all along. I didn't lose a single thing. So I just waited for the power to turn back on and when one of my collegues came in and was complaining about having lost everything, what was the first thing that popped into my head? Yes. Cookies. (what? I'm hungry.) But the second thing was "Save often, save much." Some advice I should have dispensed at the beginning of the day clearly.
So there you go. I hope you are able to take the wisdom that I've learned from brilliant advisers and apply it in your own life. I promise that it will save you stress. Because it didn't stress me out that the power went out because everything was saved. And I took a break while it came back on. So really, the power going out was a great thing so I could go take a break from my workaholic tendencies.
Consider this my good deed for the day, passing this information along. That means for the rest of the day, bad deeds will reign. Muah-ah-ah-ah (the evil plan laugh...or the Count from Sesame Street, either works here.)

No comments: