Sunday, December 12, 2010

Past Paul's prime?

Paul McCartney was on SNL tonight and I was wondering. Should we excuse icon's for being terrible sounding once they're old?
Here's the thing. He's an icon. He was in the biggest band the world has ever/will ever see. But did that warrant him singing three songs? No one ever gets three songs on there. But as he was doing his medley of his hits, my first thought was actually...Wow. You sound terrible.
I mean he sounded really really bad. And I don't care if he was a Beatle. He sounds bad. So do we forgive him that because he's Paul McCartney?
I don't think so. I think that people should quit while they're ahead. He should be doing something else with his life at this point. Run a record label, have a clothing line for old men, do something. But imposing on us the fact that you can't really cut it anymore...I dunno. I think that's going a little too far.
Wait. Four songs. He's done four songs. Who was the host of this episode anyways? Should have been Paul McCartney because he got more screen time than poor Paul Rudd. Not that Paul Rudd's skits were funny at all. They weren't. But still.
So do we forgive them because they're an icon? Barbra? Bette? Neil Diamond? Aretha? I dunno.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's high time that the Boomer generation gets over the Beatles. Sure, they were great, but there's been other music since then.