Friday, December 10, 2010

I'm gonna irritate some with this one

"Choose well, and have babies."
That was apparently what was said at the graduation of the small school that I transferred out of to go to the big school with big possibilities to match me, the boy with big dreams.
I don't even so much care what the context of that sentence was, though having gone to school there for a few years, I can almost tell you for sure what it was. But come on now. Now that you've graduated, it's time to find a spouse and have babies? That's what life is about?
False.
What if you don't want that? Or what if you just want one or the other? What if you don't want to find a spouse as soon as you graduate? What if you want to be single and enjoy your twenties and thirties? What then huh?
Of course, this is a very southern mentality to have, the whole, getting married so young and having children like your life is incomplete without them, and perhaps on some level it is. I just have such issues with kids who get married so young, for one reason or another, and completely cut out the part of life that's free and uninhibited. Suddenly, you've got someone else to have to think about all the time. You can't make decisions based on what you want to do anymore because you've got to factor someone else into the picture. You can't  stay in the city you perhaps wanted to because you've got to go where your spouse wants to go.
While all of this may sound incredible selfish on my part, it's really not. It's just a different way of thinking than is popular where I grew up. There are girls who go to college with the intention of wearing a wedding dress under their cap and gown.
Not for me.
I graduate with my Masters a week from tomorrow and I couldn't be happier about where I am at my life for the age I am. Nothing holding me down, I can go and do whatever I want without having to factor other people into it and while other people might choose for something different than that, but I like it just the way it is. Free.

No comments: