Friday, December 31, 2010

10 Top Ten List Blogs of 2010 - Movies

The top 10 Movies of my 2010

Please bare in mind, this isn't my list of the best films of the year. This is my list of the movies that I enjoyed. There's a huge difference.

10. Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work - I love documentaries and this was such a good one. It showed this distorted icon of a comedienne in such a real light, presenting her good and bad traits to the viewer in an engaging way. Regardless of how you feel about her, this film is fascinating.

9. How To Train Your Dragon - Surprise me much? How is a movie that has such an abysmal title SO GOOD? Yes, this film wins the award for the worst title of a movie this year, but it was charming and wonderful nonetheless.

8. Tron: Legacy - What a wild movie. And as much as the effects were awesome (except for the younger version of Jeff Bridges...it's getting better but that was no Benjamin Button work), I think my favorite part was the soundtrack by Daft Punk that was a clear work of genius.

7. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - I appreciated this film so much because it didn't take itself too seriously and it delivered on the video game geeky that the trailer made it look to be. It was really fun.

6. The King's Speech - This was a simple, understated film that was just really terrific. In the same way that The Queen was terrific, this was too. It probably doesn't hurt that I was just in London this summer and I now have a soft spot in my heart for it.

5. Inception - The magic of this film was lost on me since I saw it so long after it came out and had been hearing about it from everyone for months. BUT - it's a flawlessly made film that was a twisting and turning spectacle of entertainment. Too many twists make me mad in movies, but the straight forward way of telling this story let the audience stay completely in pace with what was going on.

4. Black Swan - What a hauntingly beautiful film. It lingers with you long after you've left the theater and it's really just a beautiful piece of cinema.

3. A-Team - This was just a flat out fun movie. I don't care what anyone says. It looked fun and it was fun. It looked hokey and it was hokey. It looked like a mindless action movie and it was a mindless action movie. And I loved every minute of it.

2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - How wonderful, how fitting, how perfect, how poignant, and how engaging was this film? Some folks don't care for some of the Harry movies (they're the ones who read the books and are a bit snobbish) but in my humble opinion, the films just keep getting better and better.

1. Toy Story 3 - The best film I've seen all year. No other film had me in the throws of an all out emotional collapse and certainly no film was as touching and wonderful as this.

Again - these are my favorites, not the artful best of the bunch.

No comments: