Thursday, November 18, 2010

More than just a rom com

Absolutely.
That's what I have to say. Absolutely.
It's about time we have a romantic comedy that doesn't look like a sap fest or like something some writer wrote just to pay the bills. Granted, I feel like I know the entire plot of the movie just from the commercials, but I think all romantic comedies are that way.
So, to celebrate these fantastic new cover photos for this movie, I thought I might talk about two romantic comedies that I love.

You've Got Mail. Here's a film that I've written about too many times to even count really and it never gets old. The reason that it maintains its appeal is more than just Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. The writing it witty and funny and the characters are likable but really, it does what Sex and the City did and made New York the real central character. These people are living through the seasons of their lives through the seasons of New York and it's a love letter. A love letter to the city and a love letter to love itself.

Love Actually. This movie is, in my opinion, the greatest romantic comedy of them all and the fact that it takes place at Christmas gives it that extra blast of feeling that comes with a holiday film. It's got everything you could want in it, all the feelings, all the emotions, everything. And it's a who's who of British actors, all of which are incredibly wonderful. It's hard for me to formulate thoughts when it comes to this film because I think everything about it is flawless.

Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love. Of course that's from my ultimate favorite romantic film that isn't so much a comedy but a masterpiece. But I'm glad there are still romantic comedies out there that don't look incredibly formulaic. Not that I know much of anything about Love and Other Drugs, but at least they're pretty on a magazine cover right?

No comments: