Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm seeing Fireworks

This is the best music video I've seen in a very very long time.
Here's the thing. There are music videos that are wildly entertaining, there are music videos that push some sort of psuedo-envelope, there are bland music videos (most videos fall into this category) and then there are music videos that mean something. It's a rare video that actually means something.
Now, of course this video was born out of the "It Gets Better" thrust over the past few weeks, but that sorta gives it even more meaning I think.
Katy Perry is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't know why I like her music but I do, and I've blogged on here before about why I like what she stands for in the pop music world that exists currently. But this video could have just been her, in front of a bunch of fireworks, dressed as a firework, making out with some guy. But instead, she took what is actually a much deeper meaning from the song she wrote and use the video to create something beautiful. Something more than just a throwaway video that will be forgotten after it's iTunes downloads have slowed down.
So, like her or not, this is a beautiful video, she looks beautiful, and the message is beautiful. I'm a fan.

No comments: