Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Burlesque, burlesque, burlesque, burlesque, burlesque....

I'm four songs into listening to the soundtrack album from Burlesque and I already have questions about this over-sung and over-produced shtick fest. Why have three of the four songs I've listened to all included the word 'burlesque' over and over? Why is that exactly? I get it. It's the name of the movie and it's the setting. But I don't remember the word 'Chicago' being used over and over in that music. I think it's more that the songs have no substance to them other than the fact that she keeps using the word 'burlesque' over and over again. That's when she's not turning EVERY SINGLE WORD into a vocal run. For the love of God just sing and quit it.
Let's be honest. This is just Christina's Back to the Basics album Part Two. That's all this is. And it's not very good either.
There are a few tracks that are quite enjoyable but the album as a whole isn't great. Mostly because Christina rarely varies the way she sings and she consistently sounds like she's trying to take a big bite out of the note as opposed to just singing it. I just want her to do something different. We know she loves to slide up to the high notes, still overcompensating for the fact that Britney sold more albums and was more famous than her, but does she have to do that in every single song?
Oh wait. Now Cher's singing a song about...wait for it...burlesque. And is it just me or did anyone else think that Cher was also given top billing on this thing? Why are there only two songs from her on this album? Now listen, I'm not a huge Cher fan but after all of that over-wrought faux-sexy singing of Christina, Cher's mild and easy singing is like a breath of fresh air.
I'm just disappointed with Christina because she can really really sing. I wanted her last album to be awesome and it was the worst album I've heard in such a long long time. Her Basics album had some really great music on it and I was hoping for more of the same here. Rather, they chose to go the Kesha route and just have a catchy beat with zero substance.

No comments: