Thursday, September 16, 2010

Monkey love

King Kong is coming to Broadway. Sometime in 2013, King Kong will appear on a New York stage along with over 40 other actors, singers and puppeteers.
To say that I was initially skeptical would be an understatement, but then I started thinking about it. I mean, it could be really interesting. I mean, Kong is really a secondary character anyways right? The real story is about the people? So why wouldn't it make sense to have there be this story told through song?
There are so far-fetched concepts that are on Broadway or are headed that way. I mean, who would have ever thought that anyone would want to see a musical about Spider Man? (and really, it remains to be seen if anyone actually does) But the sets look interesting and the only
woman on Earth that could possibly pull it off is Julie Taymor.
I think that as much as Broadway has become overly commercialized, there's something exciting about the fact that people are trying to tell new stories with characters that we all know. I mean, TV and movies have been doing that for decades, why shouldn't audiences have a chance to see Shrek on stage or see the wildebeest herd chase Simba?
So I've decided to be open minded about Mr. Kong as he makes his way toward Manhattan. I will say this though. If they don't put a giant King Kong on the top of the Empire State building as promotion, it will be a lost opportunity to do something epic. If not on the top of that building, on the top of Times Square somewhere. It's called marketing my friends and that, would be epic. And by the looks of the giant Kong puppet they are building for the show, epic may have to be somewhere in the title of the show.

No comments: