Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11

I woke up this morning and turned on the TV. Every channel here is playing the same thing. The 9-11 Memorial.
It's something that I've watched before on this day, and it's something that I've been deeply moved by before. But this year it's different because I'm up here. I saw the WTC lights in the sky last night while I was out running around the city like a crazy person. I've been down to the site in the past few weeks. It's all very real.
As it should be. It's been easy to forget the reality of the situation, especially over these past few weeks with all the talk of the mosque and the idiotic pastor in Florida who wanted to burn the Koran. It all created such a cloud of clutter that it was hard to see the reality through. The reality of what happened.
But of course, as soon as the memorial was over, the newscasters are talking about the mosque and that idiot pastor. I guess it is what it is.

I know that I usually have critical or sassy remarks about things and this doesn't really call for those...except for the rainbow colored scarves that are tucked under the oversized collars of the Young People's Chorus of New York. Really guys. You're on TV. It's not gay pride. Put your scarves away. There. I said it.

No comments: