Sunday, August 29, 2010

Underneath it all

In anticipation of the Emmys this evening and the dresses that will be all over the TV and on magazines in a week, I was pleasantly surprised today to find myself in the fashion district this morning.
I needed to sleep in and have some time to myself after the week and weekend I've had so I decided to go search for a few things and take some pictures while I was out. So I found myself in the fashion district where they are having a sort of parade of mannequins down the street. I saw it the other day and I didn't have my camera so I'm glad I ended up over there again before they take them down. Basically, each designer designed a mannequin that's outside on Broadway and after this is over, they will be auctioned off for charity.
The one that I love the most is the one that's not wearing anything at all. Just a statement, which is what the fashion designers are trying to do with their clothes anyways. So I think it's brilliant.
Image is everything in this country, and that applies to everyone, not just people in the public eye. I mean, we're all in the public eye aren't we? At least we feel that way. We're always being watched or judged and if you don't believe me, trust me. I'm the one that's watching and judging. So yes, we're all being watched and judged. Some folks don't care about that and that's fine, but on some level, we do. Fashion is supposed to make us feel good about what we're wearing and therefore feel good about ourselves. It's not really about making people think something about us, but we certainly believe that it does don't we? That's why I just love this mannequin so much because it's true. Underneath is all, you're naked. And while Betsey Johnson, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger and Badgley Mischka all created super cool things for their models, the Kenneth Cole model is, in my opinion, the best.

No comments: