Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Not Quite, M. Night

Yes. What you've heard was true. The Last Airbender was every bit as bad as the reviews said it was. I, feeling like giving this movie a chance, watched it today with an open mind. I can say that because when I first saw the preview for this movie, I wanted to see it.
I wish I knew where to begin here. The majority of the principle cast are unknowns and they are children. Children who can't act. The story isn't actually all that bad by fantasy film standards, but there are giant chunks of the story that are just skipped over through voiceovers by a little girl who shouldn't be doing voiceovers. It would kinda be like trying to make one movie to show all 3 Lord of the Rings books and using a voiceover to explain everything that happens inbetween the battles. Doesn't quite work.
The main character wasn't all that interesting either. You know who was interesting? The villain played by Dev Patel (the dude from Slumdog) His story and character were actually more interesting than all the other people in the film, which I find strange seeing that this is the second movie I've seen this year that I've felt that way about. If you remember what I said about the Twilight movie from this year, I also found the villain to be more engaging than the main characters.
I'm not quite sure what's happened to M. Night Shamalan. I mean, there he was, making movies like The Sixth Sense and Signs and then he started to lose it. I knew we had a problem when The Village fell apart. You know, about halfway through the movie, it just fell apart, and the monsters weren't real and then the plot twist wasn't all that shocking and I left the theater very irritated. Well, he hasn't made a good movie since. And now, here he is, telling the world in interviews that this is his "best movie," and I'm hoping he was lying.
But, bad movies are good for the soul. Without them, how would we truly know what great movies are without them? So this wasn't a wasted movie experience. No. Rather, this makes me truly appreciate the movie that I just found on TV...The Devil Wears Prada.

No comments: