Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Failure

I did it. I lost something that I can never get back. And I'm ashamed.
Yes. I've watched a full episode of Jersey Shore.
I still just don't get it. I don't understand the obsession.
I consider myself very knowledgeable about television and why people watch what they watch but this is just completely lost on me. I do understand that we like to watch people behaving badly, that never seems to go out of style whether it's scripted or reality TV. But I just don't get this. I just don't.
I also don't understand why there are four or five reality shows based on pawn shops. What's the appeal exactly? Really, I want to know who thought it would be a good idea. Who walked into a pawn shop and said, "you know what? This would make an awesome reality show." I hate that person.
My third question is this: What went wrong with the VMA nominations this year? I mean, these have to be the absolute worst batch of nominations I've ever seen. Cascada in nominated for a VMA? What? Beyonce's Video Phone? That song never even once played on the radio! How did the Black Eyed Peas, arguably the biggest band in the world right now, not clean up? I'm disappointed. Here's hoping the performances can redeem what will ultimately be the GaGa show.
It saddens me when pop culture, television specifically, fails me. There's an article in New York Magazine about how high-brow television has become the new trend. People who wanted to be trendy used to not have a television but now they all watch Mad Men, Weeds and True Blood. Clearly, I'm trendy so it doesn't come as a shock that I would agree with that article. Television has become a place for real art to be made. What began as having too many channels has created a space for shows to explore and experiment. Even reality shows have taken the upswing on the cultural zeitgeist with shows like Top Chef and Project Runway emerging as more than just fluff programming.
So in an age where television can be more than just something to fill the time between commercials, it's disheartening to think that this week, TV has failed me greatly.

No comments: