Thursday, July 1, 2010

30s

I found myself in the middle of a 1930's comic book today when I saw "It's a Bird, it's a Plane, it's Superman" at the new Wyly Theater in Dallas, and it was just what I needed.
Starring Matt Cavenaugh (Tony in the revival of West Side Story
on Broadway), the sets were creative, the effects were cool, and the entire thing felt like we were watching an old comic book play itself out. As much as there were a few problems with the show, overall, it was a very entertaining afternoon at a really cool theater and for me, sometimes I just need a few good hours in a theater to recharge my system.
I'm one of those people that likes to go to movies alone.
There's something about being there in the dark theater and having a solitary experience. I feel that way about theater too to the point where I think I might actually enjoy seeing a show alone as much as I enjoy seeing a show with other people. It's art form that's so vividly communal yet so deeply personal that it's able to cross barriers in people's minds and psyches. Really, after spending almost two years studying the varying forms of communication and the ways that it's done successfully, I'm more convinced then ever that the art of live visual communication is one of, if not the most, powerful form of communication. Especially in the world that we live in today.
So I am so glad I went to see Superman today. It gave me a fresh perspective and a renewed fervor for the subject that I've been studying for what feels like 27 years. And the costume was rad.

No comments: