Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Themey Gummy Katy

I like Katy Perry.
I know. Forgive me.
Here's the deal. She isn't trying to be anyone else. She's just doing what she does best, fun music with colorful costumes and fun performances and I completely respect that. Plus, she's got a fun summer song on the radio that's so catchy and stays in your head all day long. Even east coast people can appreciate it. I mean, we Americans love that New York is the best city in the world so why shouldn't we love our California girls? Right?
So her video for her song came out today and I was really excited about seeing it since I saw that it was a candy coated bubblegum pop wonderland, which is exactly what it was.
Now, for a while there, I was wondering, "How does this have anything at all to do with Cali?" But about halfway through, there they are, dancing on the beach of this candyland. It's a stretch, but I think it works. Plus, I will give the director props for finding a way to include Snoop into the plot of the video without him seeming random. It all works.
Here's the thing. GaGa wears the most ridiculous things she can find to get her picture taken in. That's fine. But with the exception of the bubble dress, she doesn't wear things that are really that creative. The thing that Katy Perry does so well is be themey. How about a dress that looks like a watermelon? Or a dress with dice and poker chips on it when singing about Vegas? Well, here she's wearing a dress that looks like she's wrapped in candy buttons. Themey at it's finest.
This music video works in all the best ways. It's entertaining, it's mildly inappropriate, and the fun of the video reflects the fun of the song and the singer. AND, at the beginning of the video when the gummy bear flips Katy Perry off, that might be my single favorite thing I've ever seen in a music video.

No comments: