Thursday, June 10, 2010

Just a jump to the left

I've never really been a huge fan of Rocky Horror and so I've never tried to invest much time in it. I saw it a long time ago, didn't get it, and moved on. It wasn't until I started watching it this time that I realized that I haven't actually seen it all the way through. Now I know that there are many people out there who LOVE this show and do the whole midnight showings thing and dress up and know every word and sing along...I am not one of those people.
But as it was on television tonight, I decided to give it a go. I've come up with four things that it has taught me.

First. We could all use a pair of gold Chucks like Rocky. They're hard to miss on Rocky since he's not wearing much else, but hey, gold shoes are in. Just watch So You Think You Can Dance or
any awards show. Gold shoes are in.

Second. Scoliosis is a big deal.

Third. Susan Sarandon has come a long way. I mean, from here to winning an Oscar is quite the climb. But then I look at other people who have won the Oscar and think the exact same thing. Halle Berry in The Flinstones Movie? Nicole Kidman in Batman Forever? Quite the difference between then and their acceptance speeches.
Fourth. Weight loss is a big deal in our country today and people are doing whatever they can to slim down to look like the folks in Hollywood do. Apparently, we've missed the boat on this one. Apparently the key to looking perfect is to be mummified, get in the rainbow box and then when you emerge, you will be perfect looking. It's like a Frankenstein cocoon. (or in this case a Frank-N-Furter cocoon)
So I can now say that I've seen this film all the way through, for better or worse, and I now know these four things. I get why it would be such a camp classic. It reminded me a lot of Barbarella in the way that it's just kinda ridiculous escapist entertainment, which there's nothing wrong with. I will say this, like all ridiculous camp classics, I love that this movie just ends. I mean, it's really impressive actually. Kill and third of the cast, send a third of the cast to another planet and have the last third of the writhing around in a smoky crater. The End. It's perfect.

No comments: