Thursday, June 10, 2010

I've got 'Company'

There are few times in life when you instantly connect with something and it just clicks. Last night, I had such a moment when I watched the Broadway revival of "Company" from 2006.
You know when you hear such great things about something and people go on and on about it and you watch it with this expectation that it will be everything that people have said about it? That's a dangerous place to be in because since entertainment is so subjective, you are setting yourself up for failure.
This didn't fail. I didn't want it to end. I don't really know what else to say about because I don't have anything to criticize or comment on. The music was wonderful, the characters were real and funny and Raul Esparza was kinda perfect in the role.
I think what I loved about it was that it was so effortless. It just unfolded with such ease and the music was so enticing I just couldn't stop watching. I usually have to sit and think about show for a long time after they are over. I do that with films too. I hate when we are walking out of the movie theater after seeing a thought-provoking film and people are immediately like, "So what did you think?" That's obnoxious to me. I like to think about it. Not so much romantic comedies or action movies or something like that. I can give you a snap judgement on fluff films. But legit films require more time. The same goes with theater for me. Hairspray? Instantly loved it. The Lion King? Loved it by the time the lights came up on the giraffes in the first minute of the show. With Company, I was hooked after the first song and when it was all over, I verbally said "Well I just love that."
I like a great many shows, but I will be adding Company to that list. It was one of the best I've seen.

No comments: