Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My now 'Popular' 'Philosophy'

I'm sitting in my apartment listening to music and I stumbled upon Kristin Chenoweth's version of "Home" from Glee a few weeks ago. Now, I think she should be a regular on this show so she can sing every week but seeing as she is someone who's in demand, I don't foresee that happening any time soon. (But if it does happen, you heard it hear first.)
She's spectacular and that's something that a great many people have known for a long time, but I was just thinking about the first time I figured out who the little thing was.
That was when she performed on the Tony awards with "You're A Good Man Charlie Brown." I hadn't really figured Broadway out yet. I mean, I knew what it was, I knew songs from it and I'd seen plenty of movie musicals that started as Broadway shows, but I'd never seen one in person before. Kristin sang "My Philosophy" and I was obsessed. I watched it so many times, I knew all the words and even the choreography they did.
So it started there but didn't really go anywhere because, again, I'd never seen a Broadway show before. Wicked happened and I knew the music was stellar, but again, I hadn't really been bitten by the Broadway bug yet. Since then, it goes without saying that I've been bitten...pretty badly. So when I found out that I'd be in NYC at the same time as she was starring in "The Apple Tree," I knew that we had to go. I hadn't read a single thing about it but we went. I remember sitting there, listening to her sing and having to call my sister in the middle of the show to secretly hold the phone out so she could hear her. I just remember being amazed. It's the kind of thing where I think, she's so comfortable with what she's good at, and while I'm sure she's always striving to be better at it, it's something I can admire. There are things in my life that I'm good at, and maybe I've taken a bit of her lead and worked at becoming completely comfortable working and functioning in what I'm good at. I mean, that's a really loaded statement to make, but it's something worth considering. It just looks so effortless and real, two things that I want for my own life in the things I do.
But I digress...
Now she's got a huge fan base, she's on Glee and everyone loves her, she makes news for writing responses to things she's passionate about, and she's winning Emmys.
Wait. Pushing Daisies. One of the best shows I've ever seen. So creative, so interesting, so well written and so under-rated. Every time Entertainment Weekly would say it's the best show no one was watching, I would exclaim out loud "Well DUH!" It's one of those shows that just doesn't come along twice. For me, it's up there with Sports Night, Gilmore Girls and 30 Rock: Shows that are so well written that I am blown away by the sheer words, much less all of the aesthetic qualities that make them great.
So why all the Kristin love? Why not? I think everyone deserves some digital love every now and then.

That sounded so raunchy.

No comments: