Thursday, May 13, 2010

The 300th Post...Cali style

This is my 300th post and I've decided to dedicate it to someone.
I've never done this before. While I've written plenty about people without every actually dropping their names, this post will be different.
I've said some pretty bad things so I choose my own safety over name dropping. Besides that, I don't really care for name-dropping. It's obnoxious isn't it? "Ooh, I met Blah." "Hey, I shook Bleep Blarp's hand." "Monica dahling, I had sex with Evil Knievel." (Friends...clearly)
But this is different. This is dedicated to my friend Travis, without whom I may not be here.
Okay that's pretty sappy. I get that. But everyone has that person or those people in their lives that came along at just the right moment and they fit into an empty space that you didn't know was there. Backstory? Glad you asked.
I was going through a really rough time when I met him. Get this: He was the online friend of one of my friends. He lived in Cali, I in Texas. We met in Cali because we were going with a church group to Mexico, we ate a 3 foot wide cheese pizza, we rode a silly roller coaster on the beach, we became friends. That was 9 years ago and we're still friends today, even with only seeing each other a handful of times and 1250 miles between us.
Now we've both grown up considerably since then, but we've remained friends. There's not a thing in the world that I couldn't tell him and know that he wouldn't judge me for it and there's nothing he could tell me that would make me judge him.
Okay that's pretty sappy too. But our friendship isn't. Mostly we complain about how the other one is a bad friend and never visits. Come to think of it...that's a lot of what we talk about...I'm going to have to re-think some things.
Anyway, there it is. My first real post dedicated to someone who I am calling out by name. He's been sporadically constant in my life for nine years, I think we've seen each other five or six times in that time period, and he is one outstanding individual. And while I'm at it, I'll tell you that you should check out his blog. His photography is the best wedding photography I've ever seen.
http://www.travishoehne.com/

And this post was in NO WAY my upping my game to even a score and prove I'm the better friend. Not in the slightest...

No comments: