Sunday, April 4, 2010

Put on your Sunday clothes...

Easter Sunday. I have a couple questions about this day.
A) Aren't we supposed to be celebrating the reason for this holiday on a daily basis? Right? Isn't that the point? So why do we make a big deal out of one singular Sunday? Everyone paints their best Easter faces on, puts on new clothes and makes a big deal out of this day. Which brings me to my next point.
#2. Why new clothes? Why do we get new clothes on Easter? I mean, we take this day, that is supposed to be focusing all on one thing, and we instead dress up so that we can focus on ourselves? Not that I didn't do it as a kid too mind you. I did. It was a great way to get new dress clothes. But now, I dress this way a lot, so it's not that big of a deal anymore. Plus, I don't think God gives a crap what we wear anyways. I know. Shocking doctrine there. But I'm pretty sure it's true.
And C) Well, C is more of a comment than anything else. If you happen to be sitting next to me in church, and your phone rings once, fine. I can get past that. You forgot to turn the ringer off. I mean, be smarter than that, but it happens to everyone. If you happen to be sitting next to me in church, and your phone rings again, uh...you should have turned it off already. So that warrants the slight gaze out of the corner of my eye. But if you happen to be sitting next to me in church, and your phone goes off once again, that warrants a full on, Ellen-inspired head turn and stare. How else will they learn? Yes, thrice did the phone emote whatever R&B song was the ringtone and thrice, she refused to turn the ringer off.

So I think Easter isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to other people. Did I just lose my Christianity Card for saying that? I just think we should think as strongly about this on a daily basis as we are told we should on this one day. I also don't really understand when this day became about being with your family. I don't really get that either. If you celebrate the day like it's intended to be celebrated, isn't that a very internal experience? When did it become about "spending time with the ones you love?"
I promise I'm not bitter, just wondering. I've also decided that I will probably wear Chucks every Easter from here on out. Spend 100 dollars on your shoes. That's fine. But as for me and my house, we know that Jesus would probably rather us be comfortable in church. And we were.

No comments: