Sunday, March 14, 2010

Supporters

I have always been a fan of the supporting characters of shows and movies more than the lead characters. I recognized early on that the most interesting people were Jack and Karen, not Will and Grace.
As I'm watching Desperate Housewives, I'm realizing more and more that the supporting characters and their stories are more interesting than what most of the women are doing on the show. Then I started thinking that it's been that way for a long time. I've been more interesting in the subplots than the actual ones. I mean, anything with Karen makes it infinitely better. You remember "Run Jane Doe run?!" Now that's comedy.
For a show that is all about the mystery about what's going on that season, its the subplots that keep things interesting. There just aren't enough dirty little secrets to leak out for 42 minutes a week. So I keep tuning in to find out what Andrew is going to do about Sam or what is going on with Julie.
I've realized that I am very much a supporting character fan. In the real world, apart from television, I am a fan of teamwork which is inclusive of supporting characters. Aren't we all supporting characters in other people's lives anyways? I mean, to some people, we're key players and then to others, we're the supporting characters that keep things interesting. The supporting characters come in and out of the show but the main characters usually get to stick around. I mean, would Jack Bauer actually die in 24? No. Would Will and Grace continue with one of them gone? (Well it did there for a while while Debra Messing was pregnant and they tried to cover it up because they didn't want to put it in the script. They did a bad job of it. Then a season later they wrote pregnancy in. Fail.)
Right. Well, supporting characters make the world go round. Without them, we'd all just be Teri Hatcher talking to Marcia Cross about Mary Alice for six seasons.

No comments: